Dark Horse in the Headlines 11/22/10
I'm Dark Horse Publicity coordinator Jim Gibbons and as Hannah Montana once said, "Let's Do This!"
Andrew Vachss, Frank Caruso and Zak Mucha's Heart Transplant has been a regular feature online recently across book-centric sites and newspapers' online outlets. This past week was no exception. Time Out Chicago chatted with Vachss last week about HT, and a radio interview with Mucha can be heard at WBEZ91.5's Web site. The Bay Citizen, San Francisco Weekly and Florida Weekly all ran positive reviews of the book, as well! Oh, and it made the New York Times Holiday Gift Guide's graphic books section!
The righteous book-lovin' supergroup YALSA (The Young Adult Library Services Association for the uninitiated) recently released their list of nominations for 2010's Great Graphic Novels for Teens. The big DH received five excellent nominations—more than Marvel, DC, Vertigo, Image, IDW or Boom! Huzzah!
And now, the nominees...
- Brody’s Ghost: Book 1 by Mark Crilley
- Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites by Dorkin, Evan and Jill Thompson
- 365 Samurai And A Few Bowls Of Rice by J.P. Kalonji.
- The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects by Mike Mignola
- Grandville by Bryan Talbot
Congrats to the nominees and many thanks to YALSA for recognizing these tremendous books! And you know, all these wondrous bits of fiction make great holiday gifts. Just sayin'…
Let Me In
ComicBookResources.com spoke with Let Me In: Crossroads artist Patric Reynolds about the upcoming miniseries and featured a series of preliminary art pieces which allowed Reynolds to explain how he puts a page together. It's a great look at Let Me In, but it's also an educational and informative piece for anyone who loves learning about the ins and outs of comic art—go check it out!
- The Onion AV Club ran a lengthy interview with Groo creator Sergio Aragonés.
- CBR TV chatted with Zack Whedon about his work on Terminator.
- Camilla d'Errico spoke with Japan Cinema about the anime and manga inspirations in her work.
- Dark Horse's Howlin' Mad Michael Gombos and Matt "The Berserker" Parkinson talked to MangaLife about DH's manga line and upcoming digital bookshelf app.
- The Beat showcased pages from Bryan Talbot's Grandville Mon Amour.
- Fangoria premiered pages from Eric Powell and Kyle Hotz's Billy The Kid's Old Timey Oddities and The Ghastly Fiend of London #4.
- Wizard's Pie Monkey blog hosted a horrifying preview of volume six of the Eerie archives.
- Artist Sean Phillips previewed a brief snippet of Danny McBride's Your Highness on his blog.
- Geoff Boucher from The LA Times and The Hero Complex blog recommended B.P.R.D. Hell On Earth: New World as his "Pick of the Week" on G4's "Fresh Ink". Thanks, Geoff!
- The Comic Journal's Gutter Geek raved about Amazing Screw-On Head, calling it "one hell of a fun read."
- Like many others, Graphic Novel Reporter loved Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites and, keeping with the numerous compliments this collection has received, called it "comics at its best."
- Comics Worth Reading had plenty of great things to say about both Hellboy: Double Feature of Evil and Beasts of Burden/Hellboy.
- Worcestor Magazine enjoyed the third issue of Billy The Kid: "It's pure, enjoyable insanity."
That's it for this week, folks! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, hug your families and fill up on fantastic food for days on end! See ya back here in seven… days!